Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Writing Action

I want to publish something again. Soon. It should be a short story. I'd love to have it be an action piece with gratuitous violence. How often do I write those?
Never.

Cussing is absolutely a part of my writing as an adult. After all, I swear a lot in my everyday speech (or so I've been told), and when I write about someone stubbing their toe or having a fight with their mom or, as is inevitable in my work, slogging through a breakup, I include cussin'. Booze happens too. How often I bring in alcohol depends on the characters, like when I was writing about fictional strippers (lots of drinkin' and cursin' there), but one thing I don't tend to write are scenes with guns or knives or death threats or murderous exes or hit men.
I should write something with all of that, since I  want to write my own well-structured, entertaining, plausible action sequences. I'm itchin' to create, create, create and lately, things have been rather stressful so I need the release.
What should the plot of this bloody story be? should it be moment in a mob war? Is it the psychotic break of a disgraced prosecutor? Should I write about a murderous dentist (following the suggestion of my dentist)?
 Wait - it should be a Bert and Ernie rampage like those mentioned on Imgur.
No.
 A Jake the dog type decides he wants to get out of the heroin business.
No. Now I'm thinking of that "30 Rock" joke where someone says that there's a sedated prisoner playing Barney.
I obviously don't know where I'm going with this, but how else do you get s--t done but with a lot of energy? Let's get this done and examine it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment