Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Gossiping

So I've just had another of those moments where I came face to face with my ego, and it's all because of the jaw-dropping news of Kermit and Miss Piggy's break-up. Seriously. I understand that we're all just people - interesting, flawed human beings [and pigs and frogs] - even if some of us are famous actors/musicians who are currently going through divorce.
I can't imagine what it must be like to to commit to someone on the level of a real marriage and have it end. The celebrities currently splitting up their assets and putting out boring public statements deserve the privacy they're requesting. I don't want or need the details of their personal lives.
But...
I am into celebrity gossip. There's no denying that I am one of the enablers of that intrusive industry. Even though I've never been a romantic, I've been very curious about interpersonal relationships, which of course includes the ones that get people thinking about the future, swapping spit and making things "complicated". Curiosity and hope fuel the gossip, too. We want a happy, huge commitment in a romance we're observing. There's no chance of my pressuring my friends or acquaintances to feed me details on relationships, good, bad or dead, but they know I sometimes have unspoken questions. Small doses of drama in someone else's life are entertaining. The closest I get to wanting attention to be drawn to my relationships is being curious about lives I can't relate to. Do you know how many times I've been to the Wikipedia page of actress Elizabeth Taylor? I like looking at the section titled "marriages, romances and children", caring more, of course, about what appeared to be a confused, almost absurdly eventful ping-pong game of a love life. Larry King's marriage history is less interesting on that same website because there aren't quotes accompanying the names and years, fueling my imagination, making me think of how I might like to project a purely fictional version of my own such timeline. In reality, I'm grateful for privacy, but it's also kind of exciting to look at [the public's understanding of] the span of the relationship between Russell Brand and Katy Perry and want to make one of either totally fictional characters or of some chick with my name hooking up with a rapper and eventually marrying an art therapist.

I guess this is my confession to enjoying some level of gossip and relationships-as-entertainment. This isn't a part of me that I'm at all proud of...but...it's just a part of socializing, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment