Monday, May 23, 2016

'Thirty-Two Going on Spinster', a Book Review




I’ve recently finished reading the novel Thirty-Two Going on Spinster, about a thirty-something self-proclaimed “spinster” named Julie who keeps living in the apartment in her parents’ basement for ten years after college graduation, working the same corporate assistant job she doesn’t like, reworking mathematical formulas and gossiping on the smokers’ balcony with her work friend Brown.
I understand that some people take a long time to realize that a hobby can become a lucrative career, and they instead shy away from taking risks in that department, which is exactly what Julie does for a decade. She repeatedly states that she has no life. Her self-awareness and slow growth are kind of amusing, and I know for a fact that some women really are as naïve about dating as she is, but um, the writing was acceptable and harmless and amateur and Julie herself reminded me of someone, another character I imagine she easily could have hung out with - Becky from the Shopaholic novels. I read a couple of those books to give myself something more to share with one of my pals, who is a big fan of the series, but, in all honesty, I am just over very immature, thirty-something characters who somehow have much better jobs than mine amid all of their tunnel vision. Becky, Julie and some TV characters I've seen are smart and diligent about their work and the academics that got them to those careers, but their personalities drive me away. I know this is just a matter of taste, and it was my taste specifically that made feel so irritated by things Julie and Becky said to themselves. You see, in the Shopaholic novels, Becky fit into a particular category in my mind due to her thoughts and habits and perhaps also the author's writing style, but my opinion of her was such that when she mentionedsexwithher boyfriend I was taken aback, thinking, 'How is this chick mature enough for sex and for asn adult relationship? How?' 

Anyway, like I said before, this book was alright - good for light beach reading.


              

No comments:

Post a Comment