Tuesday, November 24, 2015

'Hemlock Grove'

I woke up in the wee hours of Saturday, Oct 31 hearing footsteps on pavement and a young voice shouting, "HELP! Please HELP! She's not breathing!" I woke up a bit, listening, heart speeding up. It was awful and it wasn't over. The shouting continued, "Please help, she's not breathing!" and I was up out of bed, trying to ensure that my breathing stayed calm despite my heart rate. My fingers closed around the edge of a curtain while I visually combed the street outside my window. This was so disconcerting...and then...
...I looked down as the sounds became utterly different. The streets of my normally very safe neighborhood appeared to be empty when instead of shouting I heard talking and realized my mistake, a silly, silly mistake.
Don't fall asleep to a show about the supernatural, vampires and werewolves, a show with a darker presentation than The Vampire Diaries. Please don't be a dummy like me and let your laptop roll through Hemlock Grove while you try to get all your REM. Not a good idea.


Now that the final season of the show has hit Netflix, I have to tell you: it is weird. I like it...though I'm not sure how much. I will give it points for originality. One of my favorite characters was the general practitioner, Dr. Spivak, but of course, all major/catalyst characters on that show have to be complex, with traits that are or appear to be positive and negative, endearing and monstrous, so just when I was wondering whether he would be a good guy who was murdered or an antagonist with an agenda, he proved himself to be a scaly, highly manipulative winged creature that happily poisoned a woman who was nursing an infant. Spivak turned on us. He wanted to use the baby Nadia as a tool. He absconded with her to a rather remote cabin out in the snow, and in that cabin, he was eating fancy breakfasts, wearing cute-sy, soft-color sweaters, plotting to destroy the world.

I haven't finished the series because I don't yet want to say goodbye, but anticipation is overtaking patience now. I'm too curious about what happens next with Nadia and Peter and Roman and Shelley and Miranda. Also, the last time I saw Destiny, she was starting to put together the pieces of her fiance's murder mystery and I feel for her.
The show intrigued me so much that I immediately bought the novel, which I'm now reading on lunch breaks at work. I wonder how much the show, co-created/produced by the book's author, Brian McGreevy, will compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment