Wednesday, December 21, 2016

#TheBrlnWall

Clllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiick.


I met a guy at a bar on the 8th who, against my will, learned my age, which is not a big deal, but is not something I like as a woman who wants her privacy when out in a public place, even when surrounded by friends, as I was. The good-looking, dark-haired stranger continued to make jokes about myself and my pals being young or a millennial, blah blah blah. At one point, he turned the barrel of his verbal gun on himself and jokingly claimed to have been a member of AARP, which I appreciated, but there's so much I would have liked to say in response and couldn't get the chance. He said something to his buddy about the Berlin Wall and briefly made eye contact with me, made a brush-off hand gesture and uttering something like, "You're too young', prompting me to rack my brain for a comeback. When he finished his story, I tilted my head.
"Is that an app, Berlin Wall?" I asked, blinking at him. I kept my facial expression as sincerely inquisitive as I could.
The stranger kept a straight face the entire time and replied, without apparent irritation or amusement, "No, it is not an app."
A friend of mine was pressed against my arm, happily intoxicated, chuckling, boosting my ego.

I did not get a chance to defend myself again for the rest of the night, but after driving my friend home and settling on my own bed, I opened up a laptop at four in the morning to type up a couple of ideas I might never voice, like, "Is Reagan a singer? Did she get a record deal because of her posts on Vine?" and, "Is that the name of your new Labradoodle?".


I was disappointed that nothing could ever happen between me and the bearded ageist, but at least I got some mediocre jokes out of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment