Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Rory/Jess (After 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life')

Five months later, I still feel guilty even thinking this, but...if Rory and Jess never got back together, it would be very okay.

#Literati








I like Jess, I like Rory, and their relationship was intriguing, but maybe their time came and went. There might no longer be any potential for them. As a writer, I look at the pained expression on Jess's face as he briefly but meaningfully watched Rory through the window in Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life and think it could really be odd if they became an item again, or even just friends with benefits. She didn't show any romantic interest in him. 
Also, with the bomb she dropped at the end of the mini-series, it's easy to assume that from now on, her priorities and outlook would be entirely different, that she might choose to become a mother and, subsequently, have an even bigger gap between herself and Jess.




On Family Guy, the writers found it appropriate to kill off one of the main characters, the beloved Brian, and should have expected a huge backlash, which of course they got, and I was disappointed when, after executing such a major move, they changed their minds and somehow resurrected him. Even if they had received a firm note from the network about bringing the dog back, I would, in their position, personally take the stance that this was for the sake of the story and a final decision. As an artist, I'd refuse to bring him back to life. 


Scenario:

COUNTLESS FANS WORLDWIDE: "You can't do this! How dare you! The show's gonna suck now!"

ME: "Forget that. I stand by my decision. He can't come back. Who do you think we are, Vampire Diaries?"


After again watching both the original show and A Year in the Life, I understand creator/writer Amy Sherman-Palladino ending Gilmore Girls where it is now, not worrying about what's in Rory's book, or what should happen with the news she broke to her mom, and certainly not her high school boyfriend's secret brooding. When I first binge-watched the 2016 revival, I couldn't imagine there not being another season, but...no, ends that needed tying were tied. My second look has made me see that life for the Gilmores, their loved ones, Stars Hollow and the rest have been relegated to fans' imaginations, including mine. That universe is a warm, quick-witted part of TV history now, and I have to move on from wishing I could marry Luke. If I wanna stare at Milo Ventimiglia, I have to watch other stuff.




There's good TV out there, and a lot of things from the past and present are online. I'm thirsty for it, aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment