Saturday, November 14, 2015

Dragon

A friend requested that part of my birthday gift to her be a story.

I wrote her something once. She says it's in one of her yearbooks, which would make sense; we've known each other since ninth grade. But this piece has to be about a dragon. That's the biggest challenge. What do I do with a dragon?
I've had a trusted artist friend say she thinks I should try the fantasy genre, that it might be one of my strengths, but taking on a mythical creature I previously knew and cared so little about is intimidating. I haven't figured out exactly how this should play out. Maybe there will be two plot lines, one with the dragon and a romantic entanglement, which was the original assignment, but to make it more interesting, maybe I'll add, like, a fight between dragon clans or dragons vs different species for control over this one region. I'm not sure. If I added the fight for territory, I'd have to make the territory worth fighting for, and to do that, I need my creations to care about that land.
I'm so unfamiliar with fantasy and don't know how to commit to the silly romantic stuff my friend requested, but...I asked for this, didn't I?

I have limited time for this, by the way. Time is up in 22 days.

Have you ever been in a similar position? Being given prompts for a gift or assignment like you're in a version of the Iron Chef competition?





No comments:

Post a Comment