Wednesday, October 25, 2017

About This Dream I Had (Elton John, Joy Behar)

A dream involving coupons, a former friend, and an injured Elton John.


In August, I woke up from a vivid dream and immediately started writing it down in the spiral notebook I've been leaving on the floor by my bed. 
In my sleep, I was running a small business out of my parents' house. What kind of business, I have no idea, but Goldie, that chick from back in the day? She was there, helping, working for me, and one of our customers was Joy Behar. We made small talk. Ms Behar looked glamorous with excellent makeup and hair.
After the customers had gone, Goldie and I went into the kitchen to chat while she got ready to leave. She and I stayed at opposite ends of the room the entire time. Some coupons on the counter grabbed my attention and became very difficult to resist. They were coupons for pop, as I call it (soda/soda pop/Coke) of different kinds. Mind you, I don't drink anything carbonated these days unless it's part of a mixed drink, and I'm happy to say that's rare, but there I was, wanting so badly to take the coupons to the store and buy multiple two-liter bottles. Ultimately, I beat the urge. From my place behind the kitchen island, I thanked Goldie when she left and felt bad that I couldn't remember her fiancé's name.
Suddenly, a thin male twenty-something appeared in the room. We were comfortable together, for whatever reason, and we instantly decided to take a walk down the street. Whatever our intentions, we soon approached a parked sedan, behind which a man was kneeling, cradling himself, either his arm or stomach. I don't recall. The important thing is the man himself: Elton frickin' John. 
Once I reached the rock star, my nameless acquaintance disappeared, and Joy Behar soon took his place. I was on one knee beside Elton John, my arm around his back, and Ms Behar, now dressed in heels and a caramel-colored faux fur coat, looking perfect. She was friendly, flopping her arms once in a shrug, as if to say, 'What are the odds of seeing you again' - and we took her up on an offer to get a ride in her limo, but the guy friend ran off to do one more thing, heading straight into a nearby building (warehouse?). Ms Behar followed him. I felt torn about whether to do the same or get into the limo, but chose the limo just as Goldie and my imaginary stand-in for her fiancé were walking hand-in-hand toward the same vehicle.

What I found online in relation to this dream was the following:


To dream of a friend represents a quality in yourself based on your most honest feelings about them. Ask yourself what memories or feelings stand out the most about them and see how that quality may apply to your own life.

Friends in dreams may also represent your current projection of that person based on a current situation or conflict in your life.

...
To dream of a soda or soft drink advertisement represents an attempt to interest others in feeling good making some area of their their lives a lot easier. Enticing or trying to convince others to change to a much more easier, enjoyable, quicker way of doing things. You or someone else that is offering others the chance to make life easy and laugh about it. Negatively, a soft drink advertisement may reflect awareness of yourself or others going too far to persuade someone else with a perfectly easy offer. Feeling that someone is being too pushy while thinking your stupid about getting something easy.
...
Celebrities in dreams are usually symbols for some aspect of your personality or something about you based on your opinions, feelings, thoughts, or memories of that celebrity. Like all people in dreams, celebrities are personal symbols and hold different meanings for each person. 

So I was most likely running a business out of my parents' house because that's the first place I ever considered home, and I caught on quickly to the fact that I probably thought of Elton John and Joy Behar because of qualities they appear to have that I admire and know that I should encourage in myself. Elton John represents some meaningful, cool things to me - artistry, talent, strangeness and self-expression. Ms Behar appears to really stand up for herself and her beliefs, and is a survivor and a family-oriented feminist. 

I might've thought of the coupons because of my attempt, at work, to maintain a lot of privacy. With the way office gossip works, and considering the personalities of just a couple of my coworkers who cannot be trusted, I have felt the need to take my desire for privacy to another level. I've been trying, in real life, to convince certain people that regardless of whether they know me relatively well or not, this is it: Joking and fun-loving is all they can get out of me. The coupons could have been my subconscious reviewing the fact that I'm playing a role. 

In a dream, I found a way to be have a positive interaction with two people who appear to have traits I admire, and also to remind myself of underlying thoughts I have about Goldie. I seem to be beating myself over the head with them. 
I'm looking forward to telling some friends about this one. After all, man, Elton frickin' John.

No comments:

Post a Comment