Saturday, April 21, 2018

So Friday Happened...

Friday night was not fun. That said, a story came out that was really interesting from a compassionate standpoint. The plan was to joke around with a couple of friends and have some wine. We ate dinner and put on a movie, then the night was out of control for a while, with discussion careening into the topic of race. 


One of my pals told a story we hadn’t heard before, wiping away tears as she explained that once upon a time, her sister had ended a seemingly great relationship with a boy because he was Jamaican and her family was racist. My friend was upset on her sister’s behalf because she had given herself an ultimatum when faced with an emotional tug-of-war - a happy learning experience vs her family's approval - and missed out on something, but at the same time, the way that decision made her feel afterward probably taught her significant lessons. It sounded like my friend's sister has grown so much in the years since and I’m relieved for her on that front. The fact that the protagonist of the story seems to have moved far, far away from a fear is admirable and makes me see her differently.
Soon, the discussion was uncomfortable, and not for the first time, leading to a scenario in which I, a white woman, were to be romantically involved with a black man. One of my friends is quite racist and surprised me by asking what I would do if my tight-knit family were to meet the hypothetical boyfriend and want him gone. I think she may have only asked because of the wine in her system. I couldn’t believe that
A)     She might think that some of my relatives could see African Americans as inferior
B)     She might be surprised if I faced the ultimatum of “Shannon, this family will disown you if you continue to be involved with that man” and chose to stay with him.

I recognize the importance of being committed to a romantic soulmate. Being with The One will make it much easier for the relationship to have a great deal of mutual support. He and I are each going to need our partner to keep up with and be respectful of our goals. A partner shouldn’t get in the way of your path. Therefore, I can’t fill that role in my life with somebody else’s soulmate or with a self-centered/needy/unstable/umbilical cord-toting/abusive jerk face. No matter what he looks like, the love of my life will matter too much to be disregarded in favor of insecurity I adopted based on an outsider’s discriminatory narrative.


For a person to have a healthy life with contentment and success, I personally find that I have to relax and stay focused on the right priorities when a racist friend drags us all into the mud of damaging opinion. Committed racists are going to pontificate on their beliefs again and again, and I won't try to change these people. I’ve got to be the more Golden Rule-friendly (collective consciousness-friendly) individual in that situation, using appropriate responses instead of impulsive reactions. It won’t do any good to lower my energetic vibration and contribute to ruining a social gathering.

When it comes to this past Friday specifically, I'm thankful for the story I heard for the first time, because it made me pause to sympathize and respect someone who wasn't even in the room. Also, I'm disappointed that the rest of the evening played out the way it did. I will be hanging out with these women again and what that happens, I’ll commit to having fun.