Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Strange Hair (About This Dream I Had)

My dream on September 30th, 2018 was weird and amusing to write down a few minutes later, because it had me watching as my ex, Tom, rode by in the street on a unicycle! And his hair...
Oh, that hair.



I noticed messages in the dream that seemed to repeat in a way, driving home my innermost attitude at the time. That online source of mine says:

To dream of a unicycle represents self-balancing. Noticing yourself doing everything for yourself. Struggling, living or being on your own. Total control over a situation or over your life. 

To dream of a backpack represents self-sufficiency. An area of your life where you are doing something on your own. It may also reflect problems that you have to deal with all by yourself. Doing your own thing. 

A backpack may also represent hopes, desires, and secrets that you don't wish to tell anyone about. 


So maybe I was content with the state of my mindset, my career, social life, love life, etc. It's a nice thought. I was training at my current job, something I like even now, two/three months later- employment that I had just snagged after months of trying to find something that would involve more of my skills than the previous drain on my energy, a corporate collections position in a call center (ohmydoooooooggggggg). 

I wonder if there's more to the dream because of certain other details, like my ex's aforementioned hair. 



Avert your eyes now, would you? I'm aware that I'm a fantastic artist, that my MS Paint drawings leap off of the screen with their energetic zest for life. Now please do me a favor and get over the incredible skill in my handiwork and pay attention to my analysis!
The guy was not only making his way down the street on a unicycle, but was wearing a backpack and a mohawk, the centerpiece of which was the branch of a pine tree! I was very curious about why the guy had that insane hair. I mean, a tree or tree branch coming out of his head? This blew me away as much as the time I dreamt that Snoop Dogg’s [imaginary] eldest child was melting on TV. Anyway, looking into it brought this up:

To dream of a pine tree represents an established area of your life that is unbearably reliable. Positively, a pine tree reflects perseverance despite all abuse or embarrassment. 

Negatively, a pine tree reflects a willingness to appear impotent or ridiculous as long as total failure can be avoided. Aspects of relationships or family that you don't like and that never go away. Overbearing parents that will put up with all kinds of insults or embarrassment to maintain control over you. No concern for dignity if winning is assured... Fear that a person or established problem will never go away... 


I think I get what this means: Maybe the dream was solely focused on an issue I have with my love life. See, I'm not official or exclusive with anyone right now and because of that, haven't felt the need to check in to prove to my family that I'm still in the game. If I felt obligated to do so, I assume it would be with throwaway statements like, 'I was on a date last week and this happened' or 'I met someone at my friend's party and we'll see!'
 My family is awesome, by the way: warm, fun, respectful, stable - every time we get together is a good time. It's something worth treasuring.
I have no interest in bringing a guy to those parties with whom I've gone on one or two mild dates and felt nothing, because in my mind, that person wouldn't deserve to hang out with that group, and the thought of having relatives ask, "How are things going with him?", knowing that the answer is typically a, "Meh" seems unnecessary and unattractive.
Now, I haven't said any of this to the loved ones who have spent the last year/year and a half pressuring me about their perception of my dating life, their imaginations having run wild in my silence, and I appreciate that these people have good intentions for me, but the execution makes me angry, and I haven't properly expressed any version of this to these loved ones, especially not my grandmother, who has stepped further into the cliché Grandma role in the sense that she's been saying, "You should" date this way or that way, insisting that I must  e "very lonely". Her style of getting a message across and my translations don't sync up enough for us to discuss my love life peacefully. It's unintentional on her part and difficult for me to find responses for. She'll choose words and a tone of voice that just push my Don't Go There button and I'll stew in useless, petty irritation over it for months. 
Sometimes I wise up and remind myself of the episode of "Will & Grace" that absolutely nailed what my mindset should be. Grace's mom was so critical of her daughter's romantic choices and their repercussions that it was driving Grace to ranting as I do, and I think it was Will who firmly put the redhead in her place, prompting her to spend her next meal with her mother not silently stewing like usual, but grinning her way through responding with, "I love you too". Brilliant, right? I should really try it. Like, out loud. 
Grandma and I aren't really listening to each other and we're wasting time that could be spent enjoying each other's company, since I adore her and she's 87 years old, people. Tick tock.
Let her try to convince me that I've been leading a "very lonely" hermit-like existence in the (hold on, I have to do the math) approximately four years since ending things with Tom, which is a belief for which I am sure there is no evidence. 


No evidence.
Can't imagine what she's thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment